- How to use recuva to restore and get back data after deletion
- How to fix memory card scan problem on Windows Phone
- How to encrypt USB or memory stick using Bitlocker on Windows 10
In this article, we will guide you on how to recover images and data from memory Stick broken. Besides, you can also learn more about how to format your memory card for continued use if it can be fixed. Please refer to the article instructions for fixing damaged memory cards!
Instructions to fix damaged memory card:
- Part 1: Recover data in memory card
- Part 2: Fix memory card on Windows
- Part 3: Fix memory card on Mac
Part 1: Recover data in memory card
1. Stop using the memory card as soon as you receive the error
If your camera displays "Card Error", "Read Error" or similar error, turn off the camera and remove the memory card immediately. Continued use of the memory card after receiving this message will decrease the ability to recover data on the card.
2. Find a data recovery program
Even though your memory card appears to be completely damaged, you still have a chance to recover your data. Some popular free data recovery programs include:
- Recuva - After selecting the drive location (in this case, the SD card) and ticking the "Photos" option, Recuva will implicitly perform all operations. Recuva is one of the most efficient, simple interface data recovery tools recommended for the majority of users.
- CardRecovery - After quick setting, CardRecovery will scan the SD card. At the end of the trial CardRecovery period, you need to pay a fee to continue using the service.
- Photo Rec - This program has a minimal interface that requires you to be knowledgeable about Command Prompt program navigation, so it is not recommended for novices.
3. Download and install the selected data recovery program
Normally, this process will open the home page of the recovery program, click the button Download (Download) and double-click the downloaded file. The download button location on each page may vary. If you don't see it, try looking at the top or the side.
4. Connect the memory card to the computer
Most computers have a flat rectangular memory card slot with the word SD next to it. This slot is usually located on the side of the laptop and on the CPU if it's a desktop.
- If your computer or Mac doesn't have an SD card slot, you can buy an SD card reader to plug into the computer via USB for only around 200,000VND.
- In addition, you may need to allow your computer to use the SD card before accessing it.
5. Open a data recovery program
A data recovery program should be installed at the location you chose in the previous step.
6. Follow the instructions on the screen
You need to select a memory card as the scanning location and select the "Photos" option in the data recovery program's scan standard before scanning the SD card. Once the scan is complete, most programs will have the option to sort or export all of the images to the location of your choice (for example, your desktop).
Part 2: Fix memory card on Windows
1. Connect the memory card to the computer
You can use the long and flat memory card slot with the word SD on the side is built into the computer. Usually, the memory card slot is located on the side of the laptop and on the CPU box of the desktop.
- If your computer or Mac does not have a memory card slot, you can buy a memory card reader to plug into the computer via USB for less than 200,000VND.
- In addition, you may need to give your computer permission to use the memory card before accessing it.
2. Click on Win located in the bottom left corner of the screen
3. Type "My Computer" into the search bar
On Windows 8 and Windows 10 operating systems "My Computer" is called "This PC" or "My PC". However, just typing "My Computer" will redirect the search to the default version of My Computer.
4. Press the Enter key to open the "This PC" window.
5. See the "Devices and drives" section.
In the "Devices and drives" section near the bottom of the "This PC" window, you'll see the drive mark "OS (C :)"(main drive) as well as other connected drives, one of which is your memory card. If you can't distinguish which drive is a memory card, open this window and remove the memory card from the machine. to see which drives go away Remember to insert your memory card before continuing.
6. Remember the drive letter of your memory card
Your computer's default drive is drive "C" so your memory card will be a different drive.
7. Hold the Win key and press the X key
This opens the Windows quick menu through the button Start in the bottom left corner of the screen. You can right click on the button Start to open this menu.
8. Click on Command Prompt (Admin)
Opening the Command Prompt program allows you to reformat the memory card. If you don't use an administrator account, you can't do this.
9. Type chkdsk m: / r into Command Prompt
You need to replace "m:"equal to the letter that corresponds to the drive letter of the memory card (for example:"e:"). Function "chkdsk"will check the selected drive for damage and reformat the area to repair. Note: There is only one space between "m:" and "/ r".
10. Press the Enter key
This will start the test. If Command Prompt Finds any problem that needs fixing, it will fix it if it can.
- If Command Prompt asks for permission to continue, press Enter to allow.
- You may see the message "Cannot open volume for direct access" after pressingEnter. If you see this error, you don't need to format the memory card (it's not damaged) or can't repair it.
- In some cases, the error "Cannot open volume for direct access" is caused by your computer's antivirus program preventing the formatting process. Try disabling the antivirus while reformatting the drive to see if that fixes the problem.
11. Remove the SD card
After the process is complete, you can safely remove the memory card from the computer and reinsert it in the camera.
Part 3: Fix memory card on Mac
1. Connect the memory card to the Mac
You will probably need to buy an SD card reader, as not all Mac computers have a memory card reader slot.
- If your Mac has a card reader slot, it will either be on the side of the laptop or on the back of the desktop's CPU. Sometimes the memory card slot is on the side of the keyboard on some desktops.
- Some devices require the USB drive to be activated via the setup before the computer recognizes it.
2. Open Finder on Mac
Finder is a blue face icon in the system tray.
3. Double-click Go in the toolbar at the top of the screen
4. Double-click on Utilities.
This will open the folder Utilities to run Disk Utility. Alternatively, you can hold down the key Shift, Command and touch U to open Utilities.
5. Double-click Disk Utility
This app has a gray drive icon with the stethoscope above.
6. Select the memory card
You should see the memory card listed in the "External" category in the left column of the Disk Utility window. If you don't see the memory card listed here, try removing the memory card and then inserting it again.
7. Double click on First Aid
First Aid is a stethoscope icon in the row of options at the top of the Disk Utility window.
8. Click the Run button.
If you see a window that says "Your disk is about to fail" then you cannot repair the memory card.
9. Wait for the memory card to be repaired
Once the Mac says it's done, you can safely remove the memory card from the machine and insert it into the camera. You may get the "The underlying task reported failure" error. Once there, please restart the computer and run memory card repair again. Good luck!
Refer to some more articles:
- How to choose to buy a microSD card that upgrades Android memory
- Outlook 701 error: "The Service is Currently Offline" on Android device, here's how to fix the error
- How to turn a memory card into internal memory on Android 6.0
- How to check real, fake memory card on Android phone
- The best memory card format software for Android phones